As of January 1, 2017 all candidates will require the mandatory Construction Industry Ethics course (or equivalent) in order to be eligible to challenge the Gold Seal exam. Please contact your local construction association for further information regarding the Construction Industry Ethics Course.
Applying for Gold Seal Certification
Before you apply, take time to review which Gold Seal Certification program option is right for you given your experience and qualifications.
Gold Seal Wizard
Unsure if you have the right experience or qualifications? The Gold Seal Wizard asks you a series of basic questions on your education, training, designations and industry experience and recommends an application stream for you based on your responses.
Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS) CEC & PQS Designations
• CEC – candidates with the CEC designation will be approved to challenge the appropriate Gold Seal Estimator exam if they have completed the online and classroom components of the mandatory Industry Ethics course.
• PQS – candidates with the PQS designation will be approved for certification as an Estimator in their contracting discipline if they have completed the online and classroom components of the mandatory Industry Ethics course.
Chartered Institute of Builders (CIOB) MCIOB designation
MCIOB – candidates with the MCIOB designation will meet the education requirement to challenge the appropriate exam (50 credits). Candidate will still need to demonstrate five years of industry experience (including at least two years of Canadian experience) in the designation applied for and complete the online and classroom components of the mandatory Industry Ethics course.
Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) or Provincial Equivalent
NCSO – candidates with a provincial NCSO or equivalent designation will be approved to challenge the Gold Seal exam with proof of five years’ total experience (three years will be counted from the NCSO designation). They will also need to complete the online and classroom components of the mandatory Industry Ethics course.
Gold Seal Certification Guide
Gold Seal Certification is applicable for a number of designations in the construction industry. View the Gold Seal Certification Guide to see the various designations and their definitions as they elate to Gold Seal Certification.
The Gold Seal Certification Guide is a valuable resource in the certification and application process. It includes details on:
- Certification Process
- Subject Matter
- Course Offerings
- Examination Structure
- Appeal Procedures
What You Need in Order to Apply
- As of January 1, 2017 all candidates will require the mandatory Construction Industry Ethics course (or equivalent) in order to be eligible to challenge the Gold Seal exam. Please contact your local construction association for further information regarding the Construction Industry Ethics Course.
- Information on present and past positions and employers as well as projects that you have worked on
- Proof of formal education and training (certificate of completion or records of attendance)
- Proof of previous Gold Seal Certification if applicable
- Proof of tradesperson qualification if applicable
- Letter of recommendation from employer
- Paypal account (for online application) or a credit or debit card
Online Application Portal
- Ensure you have all the information required to complete the application. If not, you can save your partially completed application and resume it at a later time.
- Do not press the back button on your browser, use the navigation buttons at the bottom of each page within the application module.
- Attachments: Use .pdf and .doc file formats. The total size of your attachments cannot exceed 50 MB.
- Only include 1 project per year of industry experience.
- If any error messages occur before pressing the “Pay Now” button, please contact Anik Turpin or 613-236-9455 ext. 424.
o If you don’t have an existing Paypal account but plan on using your credit or debit card, ensure that the address information that you enter to Paypal matches your credit/debit card information.
o If you receive a PayPal transaction error or any message after you have pressed the Pay Now link, please do not re-start your application. Your data was/may have been saved on the backend. Contact Anik Turpin or 613-236-9455 ext. 424.
You will receive the following notifications:
- Your application has been successfully submitted
- Your payment has successfully gone through on a secure payment portal
Your application will be reviewed first by the local construction association, then by a national reviewer, an industry practitioner. You will receive notifications when your application moves from one stage to another.
Construction Safety Coordinators, Owner’s Construction Manager, Roadbuilding and Heavy Construction and General Contracting Discipline
When your application is approved, you will receive an approval notification and credentials to the online study portal where you can select your exam date (three per year), review material and take practice exams.
All Other Designations and Disciplines
The study portal will be phased in for the other designations and disciplines. In the meantime, you will receive an approval letter, exam dates and a study guide in the mail.
You will receive an email notification detailing why your application was rejected. If you have over one year of experience, you can be granted a Gold Seal Intern (GSI) status, giving you five years to meet the criteria for GSC and pass the certification exam.
All issues or inquiries will be reviewed and responded to by the national Gold Seal Committee. There is a 90-day appeal process for those taking issue with denied applications.
Writing the Exam
Gold Seal Certification exams are written at the local construction association on the day that you selected. The study material (whether mailed to you or available in the Gold Seal study portal) includes test exams for you to familiarize yourself with. There is a fee for missed exams.
Gold Seal Certification exams are reviewed by national reviewers who themselves are industry practitioners.
If you pass, you are sent a letter with your exam score breakdown. Your certificate is sent to the local construction association who will present it to you (sometimes in conjunction with another function).
If you fail, you will receive a letter with your exam score breakdown and rewrite dates. You can rewrite the exam three times (please note that rewrite fees apply). If your third rewrite fails, you can apply again (new examination fee applies).
In the picture (left to right): Michelle Hanson-Herbert, winner of the 2016 Gold Seal Award, presented by Kees Cusveller, Chairman of the Gold Seal Committee.
The Path Forward
In today’s job market, it is increasingly important to upgrade your credentials, stay relevant and continue developing your skills. Once you have your Gold Seal Certified status, consider becoming a Professional, Gold Seal Certified (P.GSC). The P.GSC designation is valid for two years with biennial renewal based on hours of employment and professional development (five categories).